This is part 4 in a series about Historic Buildings in Waynesville, OH.
In this post, we pick up with #28 on the map below.
28. 65 South Third – Seth Silver Haines House: This Gothic home, believed to have been a stop on the Underground Railroad, was built in 1854 by Quaker Seth Silver Haines, Waynesville’s fi rst millionaire. The original brick was covered with stucco in 1909. A three-hole privy is attached at the rear of the house; there is a ten-foot diameter cistern under the house; an old well hole is in a basement side wall; and parts of the tunnel used to bring runaway slaves up from the river are still in evidence.
29. 297 North Street – Waynesville United Methodist Church: The current 1914 structure replaced the original brick church built on this site in 1840. Men of the church and community helped with construction and the women cleaned the bricks from the old church by hand to be used in the new one. Two large stained glass windows adorn the sanctuary, the Good Shepherd, and The Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane. In 1960, the Christian Education addition was dedicated, and the following year, the parsonage was added.
30. 11 North Fourth – Will White House: This Queen Anne-style home was built in 1901 by Will White, a businessman who owned a grocery store at 75 South Main. The sales room of his grocery was one of the largest in the country in 1886. Mr. White was an active alumnus of Waynesville Schools. He was married to Amelia Farr.
11 North Fourth
31. 15 South Fourth – Will Allen House: William Henry Allen built this home in 1903-1904. He worked for the Waynesville National Bank for sixty-nine years, and employed the same architect who designed the new bank which was constructed after the 1900 fi re. The home is in the Edwardian style using Bedford limestone for the foundation, and features stained glass and leaded windows. The house remains unaltered except for a sleeping porch added above the back porch in the 1920s.
32. 53 South Fourth – Noah Haines House: Noah Haines, a Quaker who came to Waynesville in 1807, built his brick home in 1822-1823. It has Flemish-bond construction with small attic windows on the gable ends. Haines served the area as Indian commissioner, and the Indians camped on the Waynesville hillside in tepees when they came to town to meet with him.
33. 450 Miami – Charity Lynch House: This home was built circa 1814 by Isaiah and Charity Hasket Lynch. They were Quakers active in the Miami Monthly Meeting of Friends. Isaiah died from typhoid fever shortly after the home was built, and when Charity became ill, their eight children were parceled out and raised by other Quaker families. The house was sold at sheriff’s auction in 1816.
34. 120 South Fourth – The Old School: The Old School was built in 1891 at a cost of $22,000 on the site of the three-story Union School, which was built in 1857. It housed all twelve grades until 1915, when the high school moved to the oldest structure in the Wayne Local School campus on Dayton Road. It was an elementary school until 1953.
35. 115 Fourth – Museum at the Friends Home: This structure was built in 1905 by the Quakers to accommodate elderly members of their community. After ninety years of service as a home to retirees, traveling Quakers, and single female school teachers, among others, the building now houses a unique collection of local history. The Museum at the Friends Home is open several days a week from the first of April through mid-December.
36. 169 South Fourth – White Brick Meeting House: Families from the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) moved to Waynesville from Virginia, North and South Carolina, and Georgia as a protest to slavery. The Miami Monthly Meeting opened 10th mo 13, 1803. By 1807, its 1,807 members needed a larger Meeting\ House. This White Brick building was completed in 1811 with John Satterthwaite serving as the clerk of the Building Committee. This structure is the oldest regularly attended religious building west of the Allegheny Mountains.
37. 407 High – Red Brick Meeting House: In 1805, the Miami Monthly Meeting built a thirty-foot by thirty-foot log cabin on this location for a Meeting House. In 1828, when the Meeting divided to form the Orthodox and Hicksite branches (as did other Friends in America), the Orthodox branch moved into the log cabin. The Orthodox Friends built this Red Brick Meeting House in 1836. Waynesville is one of the few places where a religious group has split, yet existed so close to each other. The Orthodox MMM was laid down in the 1920s and the Red Brick was sold to the Hicksite MMM by the 1950s. It now serves as a social room.
38. High Street – Friends Burying Ground: Established in 1804, the Friends Burying Ground is the oldest cemetery in Waynesville. It is an example of the Friends’ Simplicity Testimony. Early markers are creek rocks, and many of the later stones are plain with hand carved initials, instead of full names and dates. Early Friends were buried in the order in which they died, not in family plots. Looking south, the right side of the burial ground is the Hicksite side and the left side is the Orthodox burial ground (see #37).
39. 513 High – The Friends School: The Quakers held school sessions in Waynesville in a log cabin as early as 1802. This school, a vernacular brick building of Flemish-bond brick construction, was built in 1811 at the same time as the White Brick Meeting House (see #35). In 1843, Indian children who were being moved from Ohio to western reservations were educated here. Today it serves as a residence.
40. 93-97 South Main – Cadwallader Hall: Built in 1873, this structure housed the Town Hall from 1874 to 1921. It housed operas, dances, movies, concerts and lectures. In 1921, a devastating fire consumed the second floor of the building. The remaining structure is part of the original building.
41. 290 Chapman – The Old Lock-up: This is one of two remaining small town lockups in southwest Ohio. It was built in 1881 to house village fire equipment. This building held the first steam engine, “Old Faithful,” in 1886. In 1886 a jail was built in the rear of the building, and an iron cage was purchased for $250 in 1887. The Engine House remained here until 1952 when the new fire house was built. The Lock-up operated until the early 1950s and is now on the National Historic Registry.
Thanks for following along on this tour. Remember, if you ever come down to visit Waynesville, be sure to visit these homes in person.
This is the last post written by our intern, Robert. Future blog posts will be written by museum staff. The museum would like to thank Robert for all his hard work and wish him the best of luck in the future.